Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Spirituals and Harriet Tubman

Hello and welcome to my blog, in this blog post I will be discussing the history of Harriet Tubman and spirituals.  I will be working through what was significant about Harriet Tubman and what she did for the people.  But to start things off...

What are spirituals and what were they used for?  Spiritual was a form of songs sang by the African slaves used for Weddings, Funerals, and as a way to communicate to escape.  Now that I have given you a brief explanation I will tell you about a famous lady by the name of Harriet Tubman.

Why is Harriet Tubman famous? what for? Harriet Tubman was well known for her various escapes that she had performed for her family and friends.  When she was younger she got hit in the head with a metal object that permanently affected her mental state.  Now let's talk about a certain spiritual that I enjoy listening to...

This is the second verse of Jesus Leads Me All The Way:
All of the way my Savior leads me
And He cheers each winding path I tread
Gives me strength for every trial
And He feeds me with the living bread
And though my weary steps may falter
And my soul a-thirst may be
Gushing from a rock before me
As you can see in this they are giving themself a sense of hope, you can tell this by the lyrics sang "All of the ways Jesus leads me" and "Gives me strength in every trial.  This is simply because they are thanking him for his strength that he has lead upon them.  This song was probably sung whilst they were working to calm everyone down.
These events can still be significant to this day because these traumatizing events are still continuing to this day.  The people that do this are known as the KKK or the Kool Klux Klan.  These people still want the old ways to continue and think that all 'whites' are perfect.   

5 comments:

  1. Hey Lasa,
    I like you piece of writing, I also enjoy your opening paragraph telling me what you were about to write about so i could get an idea. I enjoy how you added the lyrics aswell. I think that if you had added an image or video it would have made you piece of writing a tad more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lasa, Great vocabulary, maybe make the start of your sentences more intresting because some of them start with the same thing. If you added more images it would make your blogpost better.

    -Vin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog was good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting read dear nephew. Good on you for doing some research on the topic. Perhaps using more vocabulary and figure of speeches could add more drama or flare, if you will, to your writing. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lasa,
    I really like the way you put your work together, it is well-written. The facts that are written in your map was enough to help me understand more about the Slave Trade Triangle.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Comments
Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about